Monday, August 14, 2006

No Rework! No Scrap! Woo Hoo!
Work

Let PN J15120015: Assembly, Bearing, Side-Loading go down in the history books. It's my first mechanical design where I didn't generate any scrap or reworks due to design errors! I'm not Senior Design Engineer fo nuttin! (Other than for the company to avoid paying a promotion-related pay raise. Just kidding overlords!) It makes me feel like slightly less of a burned out zombie for a few seconds...

Sometimes I envy the software engineers because they can just try lots and lots of things by changing a few lines of code and hitting the run button. But mechanically, you have to be perfect the first time: stuff has to fit together, it can't corrode, it can't break until 40,000 hrs have passed, it has to be assemble-able, it can't overheat, it can't vibrate, it has to be usable by trained baboons, etc. all sorts of details must be taken into account. Oh and it has to be cheap. Do the software engineers have to have cheap lines of code? I don't think so. Oh, and if you screw up, just send out a downloadable patch, so it's okay if you are somewhat incompetent!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see where you are coming from. I guess being in academia beats software too! Academicians dont even have to send out downloadable patches, just convince the "overloads" more funding is needed and write papers how things are so wrong! :)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home