Thursday, January 19, 2006

[from BEAN] Battlestar Galactica Get Together
TV, Family and Friends

UPDATE: Well that was fun, thanks for organizing all of this Amy! And thanks to BEAN-ers Niphon, Svet,Sonja, Emek, for the food and conversation, I am sure we will do this again.

Hey whaddya know a few other people like this show! Amy Chang has suggested some kind of BEAN-ish get together for some Battlestar watching and snacking. We don't have too many details sorted out, but hey please indicate your interest by commenting to this post or Amy's.

Did I mention this show kicks ass? OK first full nerd-dom disclosure: I like Lord of the Rings. I liked star trek. I played Dungeons and Dragons in middle school. I get The Onion joke about "Bill Gates gives self 18 in Charisma." But I have my limits. I have never, ever worn a cape. This show is not really limited to that kind of appeal.

It's smart and full of dialogue, its not reliant on the characters being really good looking, not full of sci fi science mumbo jumbo. There is lots of political and religious conflict, without any ham-fisted messaging. Got suspense, complex characters, and reveals sh*t in a timely manner unlike LOST!

Anyway that's it. Again, post a comment if interested. Take it away, Amy...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment by: Howard Wu on 1/20/2006 1:56:41 PM
It's delicously nerdy. I'm in.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment by: Amy Chang on 1/18/2006 7:48:53 PM
Hey guys, what do you think of putting together a 2.5 BSG party? I'll bring food!! Let me know what you all think. I'm about to start disc 2, season 2 again. I'm on the second show on the disc. I need to find a helmet and get self-adhesive letters "SP," so I can be a Space Patrol officer for Halloween!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Toddypoo said...

Comment by: Todd Burklin on 1/18/2006 6:24:26 PM
The DVD I rented had the mini-series on it. I had seen five minutes of the show before, but I didn't know what was going on, I think you would have to see it from the beginning to get hooked...

I guess I'll go rent 2.5 (I saw it at scarecrow), but after a little while to let this one settle in.

A BSG Bean event! You could count me in. I actually looked at the BEAN member search and 2 other people have it as favorites.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment by: Niphon Kichanan on 1/18/2006 12:09:22 PM
BSG is probably the best show nobody watches. But I use "nobody" in relative terms, since it is one of the most successful shows on cable. You can now buy/rent the mini and Season 1 as one package, and Season 2.5 is also out. I am pretty sure we are still on Season 2, since they took the hiatus and released the first batch of episodes for extra $$$ (pretty smart). I never miss this show, and DVR it when I am out.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment by: Amy Chang on 1/18/2006 9:02:16 AM
Todd, you must watch the mini-series to have a better foundation of the show. Have you seen it? I watched the whole thing on a flt. from SEA to DC while on business. My whole row watched it w/me and it was like a party!! I am on season 2, disc 2 right now. I actually went to a BG party for the premiere of season 3 and it was a blast! I think BG fans are much more cooler than those nerdy Trekkies. :oD I'm waiting to get flamed for that comment now. Yow! Know anyone who has the SciFi channel? This could be a BEAN event!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home