Thursday, August 03, 2006

Guerrilla Graffitti
Art, Politics

Whilst screwing about on the web, I found a little snippet of a 'Guerilla Artist' named Banksy, and I have to say that I find it kind of appealing. He just uses stencils and spray paint, and gets it on buildings in a flash before the bobbies can get'im. His graffitti usually magically increase the value of the properties he puts them on! So I first saw images like the one shown, which were just kind amusing - a maid painted on a wall in a dirty neighborhood. Most of his stuff is more political, sort of the anti-fascist, anti-consumerism stuff you see in a lot with artists.

I do like the sentiments, although of course I am immersed neck-deep in consumerism with my Zuma scooter, bubble tea, RAZR phones, etc. It at least makes me think about it; my view is that consumerism creates a blandly pleasurable, albiet empty, existence, where at least people can coexist peacefully in mutual dependence. Other people may think of the political strife, exploitation, and environmental destruction associated with it. Who knows? I think the first statement is probably more true, although I don't believe my level of consumerism is environmentally sustainable on a global level. I can get into my political wishy-washiness in other blog entries...

Back to Banksy, he also painted his stencils on the wall separating Palestine and Isreal, which seemed very poignant to me in ways I can't really figure out how to express. It's a sad state of affairs, of course, and I do feel a little wierd blogging about it especially after an entry about a high school buddy who just shot up a Jewish center. But to me, maybe just on a fundamental level of the engineer I am, a wall seems like a very humane and effective way to limit the violence, and it could be taken down in the future, should things ever calm down. It does seem to me that where the wall actually is (i.e. it looks like a 'land grab' to my untrained eye) complicates the issue, but again maybe thats another blog entry.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suhasini Gururaja said...

Hey Toddypoo,

Nice entries! I am waiting for one replete with politics :)
btw, I figure you were(are?) an avid break-dancer?

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good baby, but consuming too much sugar can deplete your senses too. It can also make you perceive things differently just like the temporary mood swing you get while and after listening a good tune.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Toddypoo said...

Comments, Hooray!

I always wanted to learn to break dance but all I could do is the retarded version of the worm, and the white man's robot, while wearing a backwards clown hat and a giant clock necklace.

And yes baby I am a bad bad bad sugar consumer. But I think you may be 'percieving things differently' when you are writing this!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my view is that consumerism creates a blandly pleasurable, albiet empty, existence...Other people may think of the political strife...environmental destruction associated with it.
Maybe both are true...and you are experiencing the first half of it and the third world countries are experiencing the second half? Just a thought:)

I loved the graffiti art btw! You know, the more I get to know you the less engineer/geek I see in you! Dont get me wrong...you maybe a good engineer but is there a great artist hiding in the Todd closet? :)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Toddypoo said...

Kash Money, you inspired a new entry!

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home