Friday, October 20, 2006

Medieval Monster Truck Rally
Entertainment, Seattle

Last weekend Esra, Matt and I headed up to Burlington, WA, and watched a bunch of hybrid hillbillies/dungeons and dragonners (some say like myself) fling a bunch of pumpkins using home built trebuchets, like the one shown. Most of them were about 12-15 ft high I think, with one exception maybe between 30-40 feet high. It was ostensibly a competition, but it was quite obvious the huge one was going to win...when it flung the pumpkins you can't really believe how far they go...I think what we saw was something close to 1300 feet. Methinks it pretty good entertainment, snacking on pumpkin pie and chilidogs whilst watching the spetacle of pumpkins dropping out of the sky and splattering everywhere. Each team had a little theme going...one was the 'Gourdinator', one was an UFO theme, one was a dinosaur (for some reason I keep remembering the name as Trannysaurus Rex), the big one was 'Tre Barbaric', and Team Canada. The second place one (first place out of the small ones) utilized an constant torque-linear motion design which I had just pitched to my uncomprehending neanderthal friend Matt for our future trebuchet team. We need a name, however, and suggestions could be useful. How about, 'Gourd of the Flings'?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home