Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mount Rainier Trip with Auntie
Family and Friends


Hadn't been there in a while. Yup it's still purty. First we( Esra and me) had a nice lunch with my parents and my Aunt Rosemary, whom I've seen maybe 15 times my whole life. She's quite a nice person, and she's thinking of moving to the northwest, although Seattle is expensive enough to keep her away from King County. It would be nice for her to live somewhat near here, as I am trying to settle here and establish some roots with family and friends, rather than inching my way up the middle class by chasing the money jobs wherever they are. But I digress...

So we hiked up to the Alta Vista viewpoint first, which was .4 miles, but it was 90 degrees and really really steep and was quite a sweaty workout. We continued on only to the glacier view, which maybe was only another .4 miles. We stopped because basically the sweat stripe running down my back was turning into icy glacier itself. We got a couple of nice pictures, played in the snow a little bit, and returned down the mountain and all had dinner in Packwood before parting ways. It was a really nice time.

The trip made me a little ambitious though. I have never been to camp Muir, which is the point where people stop and spent the night before they go up to the summit. It's only 4.1 miles, but the visitor center says it takes 7 or 8 hours to get there because you have to cross a glacier. Now, I know I would face certain death if I tried to make it to the summit. But the camp? mmmm maybe I could make that (with a few hundred rest stops)? I wonder if anybody wants to try to make it there with me, and release their inner sherpa or get away from their babies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home